American JET dismissed after indecent assault of 13-year-old boy in Hiroshima

Charles Vaughn is alleged to have sexually abused a middle school student inside a shopping mall toilet last year

Charles Vaughtn taught English in Hiroshima City
Charles Vaughtn taught English in Hiroshima City (1172525.com)

HIROSHIMA (TR) – The Hiroshima Board of Education earlier this month dismissed an American teacher employed in the Japan Exchange and Teaching (JET) Program currently under prosecution for indecent assault, reports the Mainichi Shimbun (May 14).

The board dismissed Charles Kevin Vaughn, a 28-year-old native of Cleveland, Ohio, on May 13 after he apologized and admitted to sexually abusing a 13-year-old boy in Hiroshima City last year.

On August 8 at approximately 9:20 p.m., Vaughn is alleged to have touched the lower half of the body of the boy at the child’s residence, according to a previous report by the Mainichi.

The following day at 4:45 p.m., the defendant reportedly kidnapped the boy, a first-year middle school student, and took him to a toilet at a shopping center where he sexually abused him.

Vaughn, who served as an assistant English instructor for a high school in Hiroshima City, was arrested in October after the boy’s mother lodged a complaint with the Saeki Police Station.

The boy met the suspect through an introduction from an acquaintance in which they were to study English together.

“I am sorry for the concern that this has caused,” said Kuniaki Shimozaki, the superintendent of eduction. “I want to strive to ensure that there is no recurrence.”

Supported by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and other government organizations, the JET Programme currently employs more than 4,000 assistant language teachers from overseas in Japan.

Comment On This Article

17 Responses to "American JET dismissed after indecent assault of 13-year-old boy in Hiroshima"

1. Britta   May 28, 2016 at 4:56 pm

You really should take his Facebook profile picture down! Those appear to be school students and coworkers, and they could get in serious trouble if their photo is associated with a story like this.

2. Carl Knight   May 29, 2016 at 11:40 am

I’m sure those students are really glad to be photographed with him. Shouldn’t you be a blurring out their faces ?

3. Mark   May 29, 2016 at 1:20 pm

New laws in Indonesia dictate chemical castration for this kind of crime against children. Sick pervert.

4. nishinariku   May 29, 2016 at 2:19 pm

IS THE PERVERT IN CUSTODY??

5. Justin   May 31, 2016 at 1:08 am

I knew him personally and there is no way he did this. He was held for weeks before his “confession” as well. http://www.economist.com/news/leaders/21679472-suspects-japanese-police-cells-are-far-too-vulnerable-abuse-forced-confess

• Justin   May 31, 2016 at 2:36 pm

So somehow your experience invalidates the claim of the above research?
      I knew the guy personally and he was someone who was maybe a bit too loose on following the rules. He taught private lessons for extra cash but there’s no way he would be capable of kidnapping and molesting a kid. He also definitely wasn’t gay…

• nishinariku   May 31, 2016 at 2:45 pm

How many police in Japan do you believe speak ENGLISH???
        You Must be one of those young DUMMIES they import to pretend to teach English!
        DORK!

• Justin   May 31, 2016 at 5:01 pm

1. I actually don’t teach English and regularly translate Japanese and English.

But that’s besides the point. I highly recommend the Economist, even if you don’t agree it’s a pretty amazing magazine.

I don’t think every officer is doing some things wrong, but the article and other research shows a clear trend of officers forcing suspects to confess.

Even in situations where they were obviously innocent. I do not see why this would be different.

• Hiroteacher   May 31, 2016 at 5:10 pm

I met him twice, and knew him briefly as well, through the JET teachers, and I got a vibe off of him that made me not associate with him. Not saying he is guilty because that would be extremely prejudicial but two separate occasions? Mom complains? I know forced confessions are a thing in Japan, but Japanese police usually doesn’t arrest individuals unless they have concrete proof. For instance, there was a news story a few years ago where the police couldn’t arrest a person who had two dead children’s bodies in his house because they didn’t have solid evidence, despite knowing the culprit and victims were in the house… so, keep that in mind. Hell, you can reek of drugs in Japan, and police won’t arrest you and you can even tell police that they cannot search you…

You would hope that the allegations are false, but to detain someone for several months is revealing. And Japan’s stance on the use of circumstantial evidence is poor… they require a lot to arrest and convict people.

• Justin   May 31, 2016 at 6:22 pm

You do make a compelling argument about holding him for an extended period of times. However, I did hear that the reason they held him so long was because they needed a confession–because they had nothing else to charge him with. Which would certainly motivate them to obtain a confession through atypical means: given the nature of the charges involving a 13 year old.

I hung out with him occasionally, and while this is not proof of his characte-didn’t know him that well-with his regular behavior, I can clearly imagine a misunderstanding exploding in scale to reach this point.

6. ShimaneSound   May 31, 2016 at 9:30 pm

Having also met him, I’d say this is absolutely the sort of thing I would expect from him. Frequent inappropriate comments about students. The guy was also as dumb as they come.

7. Justin   June 1, 2016 at 1:53 am

Whether appropriate or not.
    Anecdotes are not proof.

He has not been convicted in any court, yet, and the entire case is based in his confession.

Here’s an article by a widely recognized source that goes into a bit more detail about how confessions are sometimes obtained in Japan: http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-20810572

8. Andrew   June 1, 2016 at 11:17 pm

Wait, where is his photo? Was it taken down? And why has this news not been published in other JET fora?

If he is guilty, I hope he enjoys his time in the exceptionally harsh Japanese jail environment.

9. nishinariku   June 2, 2016 at 2:45 pm

Why were all my replies to a protector of a PEDOPHILE taken down??

10. robert   June 20, 2016 at 11:22 pm

I grew up with him and was very close with him seeing him almost every day for 4 years and visiting him in japan. He was a very knowledgeable about the law and taught children outside of school to help them which is totally normal and not atypical. I have never got this vibe and think this is the last thing he would be in trouble for. All i want to know from anyone on this is where he is being held. its a mute point now as to if he did it or not, he is convicted and there isn’t much going back from here. but something to realize is people die in jail all the time for crimes they never commited sometimes because they gave a “bad” vibe off to someone. I would appreciate a reply to what prison he is held at that is all. I would like to write to my friend.