Press "Enter" to skip to content

Man accused of strangling Fukui barber says he spent stolen cash on pachinko

FUKUI (TR) – Prosecutors have indicted a 63-year-old unemployed man for attempted robbery and murder after he allegedly strangled a barbershop owner in Fukui City last month, reports the Fukui Shimbun (Aug. 22).

On July 31, the suspect visited a barbershop in the city’s Kentoku area. After receiving a haircut, he allegedly wrapped a towel around the neck of the female proprietor, who is in her 70s, and strangled her with the intent to kill until she lost consciousness.

In doing so, the suspect evaded his 2,500 yen haircut fee and made off with approximately 15,000 yen in cash from the shop. The victim sustained severe injuries to her neck requiring about four weeks of recovery.

According to investigative sources on Wednesday, the suspect told police he used a towel provided by the shop. Investigators believe it was the very towel the owner had just handed him to wipe his face. The weapon has not yet been located, and police are continuing their search.

During police questioning, the man also admitted to fleeing the scene on a stolen bicycle. He reportedly told investigators that he spent the stolen cash on groceries and playing pachinko.

The Fukui District Public Prosecutors Office formally indicted the suspect on Wednesday. His case will be tried under Japan’s lay judge system.