Press "Enter" to skip to content

Aichi police investigating after death of man detained nude in cell for more than 140 hours

A man died after being tied up inside a cell at the Okazaki Police Station for more than 140 hours (Twitter)
AICHI (TR) – Aichi Prefectural Police have launched an investigation after the death of middle-aged man while bound for an extended period at a police station in Okazaki City last year, reports Fuji News Network (Dec. 22).

The man’s father, 71, is now seeking justice. “He was tied up while naked with scars here and there. It was that kind of situation…If you ask me, it was worse than [the treatment] of dogs and cats,” the father was quoted by the network.

Police arrested the man on November 25, 2022 on suspicion of interfering with the duties of an officer and took him into custody at the Okazaki Police Station.

Nine days later, on December 4, he was found to be not breathing inside his cell. He was later pronounced dead at the scene. No cause of death has been revealed.

Aichi police officers assaulted the man while he was lying on the floor of his cell (Twitter)

Bound his hands and feet

According to police, the man took off his clothes after being taken into custody. Police then bound his hands and feet with ropes.

The man is believed to have been detained in that state for over 140 hours. According to police, an examination of surveillance camera footage shows the man being assaulted by several officers while he was lying on the floor of the cell. It is also believed that senior officers were involved in the attack.

Further, it is speculated that a police officer flushed the back of the man’s head into a Japanese-style toilet.

Police reportedly dunked the back of the man's head inside a squat toilet
An officer is believed to have dunked the back of the man’s head inside a squat toilet (Twitter)

Chronic diseases

The man suffered schizophrenia and diabetes. However, the police only provided him with medicine for the former, not the latter. “The police do their subhuman ways,” the father said.

On December 17, the man’s father met with four senior officials from the detention management section of the Aichi Prefectural Police.

He requested to see the surveillance camera footage from within the detention center, but his request was not granted.

“Police organizations help each other with cover-ups, so they can’t be trusted,” the father said.

Aichi Prefectural Police have carried out a search of the Okazaki Police Station and confiscated materials. The investigation is ongoing.