At approximately 6:30 p.m., an eyewitness notified the Tokyo Fire Department about smoke coming from the first floor of the five-floor Hotel Matsuki.
Emergency personnel arriving at the scene found a 63-year-old female customer collapsed inside a stairwell between the first and second floors. After being rushed to a nearby hospital, she was confirmed dead due to carbon monoxide poisoning.
A man in his 50s, who is a manager of the hotel, also suffered from smoke inhalation but his condition is not considered serious.
The blaze was extinguished by personnel from approximately 30 fire trucks about two hours after it began.
The fire consumed approximately 100 square meters of space over the first three floors of the building.
The hotel did not have a sprinkler system installed.
The fire department is now investigating the cause of the fire.