TOKYO (TR) – Eleven people were rushed to hospitals here after choking on mochi rice cakes on Sunday, two of the victims choking to death, authorities said.
The Tokyo Fire Department said a total of 11 people, aged between 28 and 89, were rushed to hospitals after choking on mochi by 9 p.m., Nippon News Network reports (Jan. 2).
Of the 11 victims, an 81-year-old man from Itabashi Ward and a 60-year-old man from Kita Ward choked to death from mochi they ate at home, authorities said.
The fire department is urging citizens to cut mochi into smaller bite-size pieces and chew thoroughly before swallowing.
Update: The number of persons hospitalized has climbed to 20 as of January 2, reports Nippon News Network (Jan. 3).