At approximately 4:00 p.m. on Sunday, the bodies of Katsumi Nakamura, 67, and his wife, 71-year-old Katsuko, were found collapsed inside a bathroom of their residence in the town of Ayagawa by their 45-year-old son, who lives next door.
Police arriving at the scene confirmed both persons dead.
According to officers from the Takamatsunishi Police Station, they both appear to have died by breathing in noxious gas that emanated from washing and bleaching agents that had been poured into a sink.
Police suspect that the couple intentionally took their lives by inhaling the fumes. No will was found at the scene.
For about 10 years Katsuko, had been suffering from a cognitive impairment, and her husband was serving as her nurse.